From Kaitoke to Silverstream, there are amazing cycling routes throughout Upper Hutt just waiting to be explored. We’ve picked out the best routes Upper Hutt has to offer and included them in a trails booklet you can pick up from iSites and libraries in the Wellington region.
They’re categorized according to mode of cycling and the degree of difficulty, so you should be able to easily identify the right route for you.
We’ve also included information about amenities in the area near each trail, and special offers from local retailers if you’re keen to have something to eat or drink after your ride.
Before you ride – Safety check list
- Know your road rules – If you’re riding on the road, you need to know your road code and how it applies to cyclists. The cyclist road code is available on the NZTA website.
- Make sure your bike is safe and in good condition
- Make sure your helmet is safe and fits properly
- Make sure you’ve got the right gear and you are visible (All the information you need to tick off this checklist is available on the NZTA website).
- Be aware of other people on trails – If you’re on a shared trail, be considerate of walkers and other riders